Permits and Certificates

Requirement to obtain a permit or a certificate

The municipal requirement that residents obtain a permit or a certificate for any project that they undertake is based on the need to ensure compliance with its planning By-Laws (e.g. zoning, construction and subdivision). Issuance of the permits and certificates is the basic way of checking on how land is being developed in the Municipality.

Thus, a person who intends to build or use land or a building in the Municipality must check with the planning department to obtain a permit and/or certificate and to find out what requirements it has to meet.

A permit or a certificate of authorization is more than a mere formality. It is your guarantee of:

  • proper placement of uses and constructions;
  • safe construction work that complies with municipal standards; and
  • avoidance of errors that could compromise the safety or legality of a project that could result in avoidable costs or unpleasantness.

You have to pay to have your permit application processed. You will receive an invoice for the appropriate fees. This is not a permit, and does not represent the authorization to begin the work. Afterwards, the building inspector will review your permit application and get back to you within forty-five (45) days after all of the pertinent documents have been submitted as to whether your plans comply with requirements. Be sure to factor this extra time into your plans. If your application is found to comply with the applicable By-Law, a permit will be issued, and must be posted so that it is visible from the road.

Applying for a Permit

What is the purpose of a permit?

When it delivers a permit, the Municipality ensures that the work being done within its territory complies with the laws and By-Laws in force. This means of control will enable the Municipality to develop its territory in a harmonious and sustainable manner.

Do I need a permit to carry out my project?

Several types of work done on properties require a permit or certificate of authorization, for instance:

  • construction projects
  • renovation projects
  • cutting down trees
  • installing a pool,
  • installing a fence, wall or hedge,
  • excavation or filling, etc
  • However, some work does not require a permit, only compliance with the By-Law in force. In order to determine whether your work requires a permit or an authorization, we recommend that you check with the planning department.

How long does it take to issue these?

If it turns out that a permit is required, you should also find out how long it will take. Depending on the season, the application of a By-Law under the architectural implementation and integration program or other factors, the timeline for issuing a permit may vary, and should be taken into consideration when planning your project.

How to apply for a permit?

You can print the form which relates to your project among the PDF file application forms at the end of this page. We invite you to complete it and to join the required documents to accelerate the process. You can post or bring your application for permit to the city hall.

For a new construction, a major renovation, a septic installation or for a well, we recommend booking an appointment with the Town Planning Department (819 242 8762, ext. 3100). We are available to meet you on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays from 1:00 pm till 4:00 pm.

Permit applications 

  • New construction with septic and well
Nom du fichier : new-construction-with-septic-and-well
Taille du fichier : 348 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Septic system only
Nom du fichier : Septic-system-only
Taille du fichier : 177 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Well only
Nom du fichier : well
Taille du fichier : 176 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Accessory building
Nom du fichier : Accessory-building
Taille du fichier : 337 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Renovation-extention
Nom du fichier : Renovation-extention
Taille du fichier : 439 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Miscellaneous
Nom du fichier : miscellaneous
Taille du fichier : 183 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Cutting trees
Nom du fichier : Cutting-Trees
Taille du fichier : 80 kb
Visualiser le fichier
  • Cutting trees 2
Nom du fichier : Cutting-trees-2
Taille du fichier : 104 kb
Visualiser le fichier

Town planning

The Master Plan

The Master Plan is the planning document that sets out the guidelines for the spatial and physical layout of a municipality while at the same time providing an overview of the plan for the territory.


The Master Plan is the most important official document in the Municipality in regard to planning how to use the territory. It contains the planning policies approved by the municipal council to guide its decisions in the future.

This management tool enables the Municipal Council to:

  • instill coherence in the interventions choices while taking into account the potentials and constraints for the development of the natural and built environments;
  • define intervention policies for the introduction of equipment and infrastructure while taking into consideration the Municipality's needs and financial situation;
  • coordinate interventions and investments by the different municipal departments;
  • promote its desired development vision among public or private investors and development officers, and to make the population aware of planning issues;
  • complete the details of the plans for the territory contained in the land use and regional development plan; and
  • indicate the intentions underlying the controls it may wish to include in planning by-laws.

The Master Plan is in fact a spatial organization concept that represents in a schematic way the main territorial components that have a structuring role in planning, in response to the development and planning issues, orientations and objectives and the interrelationships among them.

Planning Advisory Committee (comité consultatif d'urbanisme) CCU

The planning advisory committee (CCU) is an organization that is mandated by the municipal council to provide advice on planning and land use applications that have been submitted to it.


The CCU is a working group comprising at least one member of the municipal council and residents it selects to guide and support its planning actions.

The CCU's recommendations and advice enable the municipal council to make the most of the contributions of elected officials and residents who can share the benefits of their life experiences in the Municipality and their particular concerns for the development of their territory. A CCU provides the opportunity to bring residents closer to urban planning issues.

In some cases, elected officials and residents can also provide specific expertise or reflect the interests of certain socio-economic groups that are interested in commercial development, environmental protection, heritage conservation, etc.

The regulations are available in their official French version only, see the file.

Nom du fichier : URBA-Rglement-crant-un-comit-consultatif-durbanisme
Taille du fichier : 76 kb
Visualiser le fichier

Frequently Asked Questions

This section is an overview of the By-Laws governing the rules of good neighbourliness in the Municipality, and other practical information. Most of it consists of summarized and simplified extracts. Consequently, in the event of any discrepancy between these summarized excerpts and the contents of the Municipal By-Laws, the text that was approved and that is in force takes precedence. The official By-Laws can be consulted at the municipal offices during business hours.

A person who breaches any of the By-Law provisions may be charged.

Car shelters

Temporary car shelters may be put up no earlier than October 1 and taken down no later than April 30.

Cutting down trees

Where a construction permit has been obtained for a new construction on a property, there must be at least one tree per 250 square metres of surface area. If this ratio cannot be met with trees that are currently standing, trees must be planted, and this within 18 months after any trees have been cut down. Trees may not be cut down without a permit (no charge).


Any dog housed within the municipal boundaries requires a licence. Dog licences are $15 annually, and can be obtained directly from the municipality.

The maximum number of pets that can be kept on a property is three (3) dogs and two (2) cats. It is an offence to exceed these limits.

Any dog that barks or howls continuously or for long periods of time in a manner that disturbs the peace of a neighbourhood is deemed to be a nuisance, and its owner or guardian is deemed to be committing an offence. Do not allow your dog to disturb the peace among neighbours.

Dogs must be kept within the boundaries of your property. When they are being walked, they must be kept on a leash. It is prohibited to let dogs roam loose on streets, sidewalks or on private/public properties. Dogs running loose may be picked up and impounded. No dog may be left on a vacant lot.

Out of respect for the environment and people, always pick up your pet's droppings on public or private property.

Tall grass

Grass and brush must be mowed regularly. Any brush and grass left to grow as high as 30 cm constitutes a nuisance, and is thereby prohibited, whether on vacant land or otherwise, when such land is within 30.5 metres of a neighbouring building.


Keeping properties clean and well-maintained is everyone's business. Most residents in the municipality are diligent about looking after their properties, and like to keep their trees, lawns and flower beds nice and healthy. However, when litter is scattered over a property, it is visually offensive and degrading, and is considered a nuisance to the neighbourhood.

Harmful materials:

Stagnant water, demolition debris, scrap metal, garbage, empty bottles, abandoned vehicles, high grass, tires, etc.


Trailers are not permitted on vacant lots in the municipality. However, a trailer or a mobile home that is passing through may be parked for up to 14 days on a property that has a principal building. This authorization is only given once a year. Naturally, the owners of a main building may park their trailer on their property.

Shoreline and flood zones

The owner of a property located next to a waterway, lake, river or a flood zone must check with the land use inspectors in the Town Planning Department before undertaking any construction, renovation or property development work to ensure that it complies with the rules established by Quebec's Ministère de l'Environnement.


Any noise that could disrupt the peace, comfort and rest of residents is prohibited between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.

Calendar of events

October   2023
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Events to come

There are no up-coming events